Friday, November 6, 2009

SKYWARN Spotter Training & My "Twisted" Addiction


I'm so chuffed about this bit of news!

Pinellas County SKYWARN Spotter training can now be done online via this neat little slideshow class. When you have finished viewing the training modules, you can take your certification exam online also.

I finally feel this year that I am ready to finish the program and get my certification.

I have been obsessed with severe weather since I was 9 years old. On one oppressively hot and humid day, (April 3rd, 1974) I saw my first funnel cloud in the Super Outbreak near my hometown of Washington Court House, Ohio.

SKYWARN Spotters are often the first to witness a tornado on the ground. Their reports can save lives. Hook Echoes (Tornado Vortex Signatures) are not always clear on radar, so a Spotter's report can make a big difference in weather reporting.

This is particularly important in Florida, as we can have severe weather at any time of the year. The Tampa Bay area has an average of 100 thunderstorms per year (I'm so glad I moved here) and has the designation of being the "lightning capital of the U.S.A."

I will keep posting reports of my progress toward getting Spotter certified.

No comments:

Post a Comment