Monday, July 19, 2010

One week to honor The Bard

I am going to deliver a presentation tomorrow night in front of my entire Western Humanities I class. My final Renaissance project is on the Shakespearean sonnet. My assignment for the project was to write a sonnet in the style of Shakespeare and recite it to the class. I have put together a Powerpoint (via Keynote, because I'm a Mac girl) detailing the history of the sonnet and highlighting some of the other famous sonnet poets.

My poem is called "Muse and Anti-Muse (Melencolia)" and was inspired both by Shakespeare's 38th sonnet (an ode to his "Tenth Muse") and a 1514 metal engraving by German Renaissance artist Albrecht Durer, titled 'Melencolia I.' (see below)

I think I've written a damn fine sonnet. I may try and get it published at a literary magazine.

To celebrate The Bard, and the end of the term, I am going to post a new Shakespeare quote here everyday. Or try to. It is finals week and I'm up to my eyeballs in studying.

Here's to the Bard. Master of the sonnet. Master of Classic Literature. Period.

Shakespeare is my Homeboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment