Thursday, January 14, 2010

Research, Coffee & a Visit with an Academic Advisor


Tomorrow morning I might head out for some breakfast, at least go someplace where I can get a decent cup of joe, and go over some of the research I've been needing to continue for my upcoming NaNoWriMo project.

I've just finished printing off some Internet research on extra-solar planets and terraforming. I'd like to start a general creation of the world my protagonists' in-laws come from, the terraformed planet with the strange "love plants." I don't need to spend a whole lot of time on creating this world, since most of the action in the book will still take place on Earth.

I'm also taking a copy of a book I found at the PARC thrift store awhile back called "Lonely Planets: The Natural Philosophy of Alien Life" by David Grinspoon. It will form part of my research for the novel. It is a look at the possibility of extraterrestrial life.

After doing this, I've decided I need to go see an Academic Advisor and possibly someone in Financial Aid at St. Petersburg College so that I can get more information on my options for changing my college status to degree-seeking and what I need to do to get started on my A.A. Also, how do I pay for it since I am now without a job? I'm hoping to get an answer to a few of the questions that I have concerning my quest for a B.A. in English.

I finished and submitted a flash fiction piece to an e-zine sponsoring a monthly flash fiction writing contest based on a picture. The story is a fantasy with religious overtones called "The Archangel of Downward Spiral."

The same e-zine has a Valentine Horror flash fic or poetry contest. I have started a Lovecraftian love story called "With Teeth that Tear Flesh," but like most of Lovecraft's own work, I'm afraid it won't be confined to a thousand words. I'm having way too much fun with it.

And I thought that "Medicine Makes You Sicker" was going to be my first foray into the Cthulhu Mythos. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment